A recipe of blurbs by a hungry dad-filled with sarcasm, truth, and a dash of that rare ingredient, common sense.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

My Favorite Albums

It has been a while since I did a “getting to know Oilfield Trash” post so I thought I would share a little bit about myself with you. Over the last year I have told you about my favorite movies, tv shows, and more of my favorite movies so I thought I would share with you my favorite albums of all time.

Music for me is a double edged sword, while I love it and it can put me into a good mood sometimes hearing some songs can send me into a deep depression as a lot of songs have some deep seeded meanings for me.

So here is the list in no particular order:

Pearl Jam – “VS” This I think is without a doubt Pearl Jam’s best album that they have made. I can listen to this album all day long. The songs Daughter, Glorified G, Dissident, and Rearviewmirror are the best. This came out during my third freshman year of college and sums up that whole time frame of my life and how I felt in the struggle on my way through youth to adulthood.


The Rolling Stones – “Hot Rocks, Greatest Hits” Since I love so many of their songs I can’t just pick one particular album of theirs so I have this nice cd where I can most if not all of their songs that I love. I have been listening to them since I was shitting my diapers as a baby. Yes I am the son of hippies.I really wish the video game people would make a Rock Band:Rolling Stones edition so I could play it with my kids. Can you picture me singing Honky Tonk Woman with my kids? I sure as hell can.


Smashing Pumpkins – “Siamese Dream” This is another great album that came out when I was young drunk college student. I remember when I first heard Cherub Rock on the radio while driving and before the song was over I was doing 50 mph over the speed limit. The song still has that affect on me till this day and I was highly pissed off when they didn’t play this song live when I saw them in concert 4 years ago.


Pink Floyd – “Pulse” I am sucker for live music and this cd is a great one. It has all of Pink Floyd’s great hits along with some from their last two studio albums done in the post Roger Waters departure from the band era. Every single song on this cd is beyond classic. It was a shame I could not see them during this tour that the album was recorded.


Incubus – “Monuments And Melodies” To be fair to them my original choice for this one was “Morning View” but since I love so much more of their music, I had to go with the greatest hits cd. I will say that Wish You Were Here is by far my favorite song by them. Although Drive, Stellar, and Talk Shows On Mute are all a very close second. I am seeing them in concert at the end of September here in Houston and they put on one hell of a great show.


New Order – “Substance” This is the only cd I have had to buy multiple copies of on various formats. I have had this album on cassette, vinyl, and cd and multiple of each due to the fact that I listen to it so much. Every song on this album is great and sums up their best work from the early to mid 1980’s. I listen to this album every time I have to fly on a plane for longer than 30 minutes as it is perfect to listen to while staring out the window at the clouds and the ground.


Creedence Clearwater Revival – “Chronicle” This is another band that have way more than one good album so I picked a greatest hits album since I love so much of their music. Fortunate Son and Proud Mary are beyond classic. You can’t go to any bar in Louisiana without hearing some drunk college coed singing one of their songs.


Soundgarden – “A-Sides” Another one of favorite bands from the early 1990’s. If I had a voice like Chris Cornel I would do some of their songs at karaoke night, but I can’t hit those high notes. Outshined has to be their best song ever in my opinion. I have heard that they have gotten back together and I hope they stay together as they are a talented band.


Rush – “Rush In Rio” I love live music and this album does not disappoint as it was recorded in Rio where they played for the first time there. The album includes all of their hits live. Ironically I was in Brazil only two hours away when they played there and my boss at the time wouldn’t let me off from work early to go this show. Needless to say I was a tad pissed about it. But thankfully it was recorded and put out on cd as well as dvd.


ZZ Top – “Live From Texas” I have loved the little band from Texas ever since I moved to Texas back in the early 1980’s. They have always put out great hits and they just so happen to be from here in Houston. La Grange and Waiting For The Bus / Jesus Just Left Chicago are two of the best rock songs ever recorded. Here is a little bit of trivia for you, the song La Grange was written about the chicken ranch (ie whorehouse) out in La Grange, Texas from back in the 60’s and 70’s which was featured in the movie “The Best Little Whorehouse In Texas”. True story. And Tush is the only song that I will sing sober at a karaoke bar. Ow Ow Ow.


Well there you have a nice little insight into the music that makes me tick. I hope you enjoyed it.

44 comments:

  1. .....and agree with a lot, own The Rolling Stones and Pearl Jam and like songs from the others, now I just buy songs rather than albums.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome albums, I love them, thanks for sharing!
    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, as long as the Stones album has "Paint It Black" and "Sympathy for the Devil" on it, it's a great album. I see that it does. Excellent choices, sir.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is all music my hubby loves! I'm more of a chicks only kinda girl. I like pretty much all genres I music but I don't like stuff that leaves me in an angry place ex: Metallica (very few songs I'll tolerate to listen to).

    CBG
    canadianbloggergirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting diverse choices... I definitely agree wit the Stones and Pink Floyd albums. I was never big on the Seattle sound although Soundgarden was one I could tolerate so that's a good one too.

    SD
    TheSimpleDude.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. ok... so if we ever hang out... you and I will both be in Musical La-La land... love all these albums!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Floyd, Creedence and Incubus, good choices.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pink Floyd...oh yeah. I've got everything from "Dark Side of the Moon" to the "Division Bell."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well at least now I know we wouldn't kill each other during a road trip because I love all of these with the exception of Rush and New Order. I am a HUGE Smashing Pumpkins fan but have yet to see them live.. which I hope to do something. Siamese Dream came out when I was in.. man.. elementary school? I got into it big time in 6th and 7th grade. "Today" is probably one of my favorite songs ever. But their double album... oh man. That got me through high school.

    And I love, love, LOVE Credence Clearwater, ZZTop and Rolling Stones. Love, like a lot. The Stones are my mom's favorite band so I've been jamming to them since I was in the womb.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are you my husband blogging in disguise?

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Lurker, I have started to get that way with only buying just a couple of songs here and there.

    @ iNews, you are welcome.

    @ Joshua, thank you.

    @ Canadian, yep I know how you feel.

    @ Simple Dude, thank you.

    @ Rosie, yep.

    @ Tony, yes they sure are.

    @ Al, I have them all as well.

    @ Sara, that is very true. And most if not all women don't like Rush. It is ok though. And you just made me feel very old. lol

    @ Nubian, nope it is not me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. From New order to ZZ. Dude you certainly have a wide range. What? No Winger?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Rush. That's my vote for best in your list. Actually I like all of them. Except for the Stones. Just don't like 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very good choices. I'm not too familiar with ZZ Top and Pink Floyd, although I know a few of their songs. Soundgarden's Blow Up the Outside World is my favorite on that disc. I think that Cornell has the best rock voice around right now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @ Copyboy, yes it is a very wide range.

    @ Ruth, same here.

    @ George, ZZ Top and Pink Floyd are classic.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so down with Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Incubus and CCR. F*cking GOLD.

    Surprisingly, though Canadian, I've never liked Rush, and couldn't get in to the other bands. I only really know Spoonman from Soundgarden. And Black Hole Sun. Love those two, but would be lying if I said I knew more.

    Nice to get to know you better, Mr. Trash. ;-)

    Seriously?... Reeeally??... Seriously?

    _

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG Can we be bffs FOREVER??? I looooooooooooove The Stones. :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. @ Stephanie, nothing wrong with that at all.

    @ Anna, yes we can.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great taste in music! And you are making me very jealous that you get to go see Incubus in Sept :( Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  20. great albums i'm a huge rolling stone and ZZ top fan

    ReplyDelete
  21. Some really good choices there.

    Not sure about Incubus, if only because they were so overkilled on the stations out here that I got turned off by them.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You, my friend, have good taste :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. @ Texa, thank you. It will be my 3rd time to see them in concert.

    @ Becca, thank you.

    @ G, thanks.

    @ Brandi, thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm down with the Stones, CCR and ZZ Top. Only thing I don't like about that particular ZZ Top album is that they cut off the ending solo on Pearl Necklace way too early. Best part, if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow...we really couldn't have more different tastes. None of these would make my top...in fact some of these make my "music I'd like to disappear" lists. That being said...you still rock. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. My stupid phone is messing up!! ANYWAY, I was saying that I think we must be near the same age. "Daughter" came out in my first freshman year of college & reminds me of someone I fell for hard! You brought back LOTS of memories mentioning that song. "Don't call me daughter, not fit to, the picture left will remind me..." Loved this post, OT. Also a fan of that Smashing Pumpkins album...

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great choices, you sir kick ass! although, never could get in to Smashing Pumpkins, don't hate me!

    ReplyDelete
  28. @ Bluz, they do that on a few songs on that album.

    @ Jewels, I am sorry.

    @ Kelley, we must be. And thank you.

    @ Shit and Caca, thank you.

    @ Yvonne, thanks.

    @ Janie, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  29. pearl jam, the pumpkins and substance- oh my!

    we totally could have been in the same study group in school... were you in upstate ny for college w/ me or something?

    ReplyDelete
  30. I like them all of these. It's so hard to do this. I think top 50 might be needed. Like you, I really have a broad sense of what I like in music. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I totally love ZZ Top. I have a lot of their music in my rotation as well. Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  32. @ Violet, yes maam. No I was in college down here in Texas.

    @ Pat, I could have easily listed 50 or more but I tried to get the ones that I listen to the most.

    @ Tawnya, same here and thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great list, and I think we listened to Hot Rocks at every single HS keg party. Anotherwords, I listened to Hot Rocks ALOT! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  34. Sorry I'm a little late, but I totally agree with the Pearl Jam and Smashing Pumpkins albums. We're about the same age, so I know what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  35. @ Dawn, I know what you mean.

    @ Tony, it is ok. They are great albums which both came out around the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Pearl Jam and Smashing Pumpkins are great. Creedence Clearwater Revival and The Rolling Stones are timeless. Love the songs (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction and You Can't Always Get What You Want. Yeah, I know the unsaid joke there, but the songs are so awesome.

    All great choices.

    ReplyDelete
  37. When I was in elementary school my first cd was a pearl jam cd...and for my 10th Birthday I got a Pearl Jam shirt that said "nine out of ten kids prefer crayons to guns." Aww the memories.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please leave one for me.