A recipe of blurbs by a hungry dad-filled with sarcasm, truth, and a dash of that rare ingredient, common sense.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Happy Groundhog Day

I would like to take a moment to tell you about one of my favorite days of the year, and that is February 2nd, which to us “Yankees” is Groundhog Day.

All the people who live up north in the United States know all about Groundhog day and swear by it, but some of you outside of the Northern part of our country (or outside of the United States even) may not be aware of this days actual vital importance dating back to the 18th century.

As some of you may have heard about, each year on February 2nd in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania the whole world descends on this tiny little town (two hours north of where I grew up) to see the ultimate weatherman. The town’s people drag a little furry guy (ie groundhog) out of a wooden stump. And according to legend if the groundhog (named Punxsutawney Phil) sees his shadow because it is sunny and clear outside, then that means he runs back inside his stump and proclaims there to be six more weeks of winter. However if the ground hog comes out and it is cloudy, then it means an early spring.


Basically in addition to the prediction of the end of winter, the town also has a huge festival to go along with Groundhog Day (think Mardi Gras but with Polka music, and no boobs shown for beads because it is too damn cold). The town parties for a week before and a few days afterwards. It really is a huge event. I want to travel there one day both during the festivities and during the summer when it is actually warm.

I am sure some of you are asking well what the hell does this have to do with the Superbowl since you said that all week you were posting about the Superbowl. Well I will tell you.

You see this morning Punxsutawney Phil came out of his wooden stump and saw a shadow. But it was not his shadow that he saw. Phil saw the shadow of the Lombardi Trophy (the trophy given to the winner of the Superbowl). Sometimes Phil predicts the outcome of the Superbowl in addition to the weather (in years that the Steelers are in the Superbowl). And this year he saw the shadow of the Lombardi Trophy. You see Phil is not just a weatherman, but he is also a Steelers fan since he lives in Pennsylvania.

Sorry my “Yankee” friends but the Steelers are winning the Superbowl and you have 6 more fucking weeks of global warming winter because Punxsutawney Phil saw a shadow.


I would also like to recommend that if you have not seen one of my favorite movies “Groundhog Day” then you need to go and watch it (why the fuck haven’t you seen this movie-it is FUCKING GREAT). It has Bill Murray in it and it is the best movie Bill Murray has ever done, and he has done some great ones. And if you saw the movie and didn’t like it, please remove the stick from your ass and go watch it again because it is fucking hilarious.

36 comments:

  1. Now if little Phill had actually been wearing a jersey....I would have diiiiied. But are you guys surprised about 6 more weeks of winter? Look outside! You're getting hammered!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought if Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow, we'd have six more weeks of people lighting their Christmas lights.
    Global warming, my ass. There's an ice storm here and I see that New York, Boston, and Chicago have it even worse.
    Which makes me think of all the hoopla from some people who think the Super Bowl should be played in the new Meadowlands Stadium.
    To them, I say:
    Super Bowl in New York in February, my ass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the effects of global warming is extreme weather conditions, so prolonged ice storms does not mean that the planet is not affected by global warming and what we humans do to it (still using fossil fuel, etc) ....

      Delete
  3. Holy shit I had no idea Groundhog Phil was dual-talented. I learn something new all the time with you, Oilfield.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The furry bitch put his cheap sunglasses on this morning and did NOT see his shadow. Yeah.. he must have read my blog yesterday.
    lol lol lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have that exact DVD and will watch it tonight.

    Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great post and cute groundhog so happy to hear spring is a coming

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Krystle, if I could have found that picture, I would have posted it. And I am not shocked at all.

    @ Al, I agree with you. The Superbowl should be played in Nola or Miami every year where it is nice and warm.

    @ Sam, I am here to help the masses.

    @ Holly, I love the ZZ Top reference.

    @ Kev, I watched it TWO times last night on cable. Love it.

    @ Becca, thank you. But he saw his shadow this morning, so it is not an early spring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate that fucking groundhog. Seriously. Why can't he ever do me a solid and not see the damn shadow so I can go for the next six weeks with the illusion that spring really is coming. I'd like winter to be done now. Done. No more. Ever again. :/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just got finished shoveling ice and snow. Punxsatawney Phil is for sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. While I agree that he sees the Super Bowl trophy, the rest of you don't get so upset. He didn't see the shadow and neither did the southern one, General Beauregard Lee. I'm so ready for spring, dammit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I beg to differ sir, both with you and the groundhog. It will be the Packers. On a happier note, I too like Groundhog's Day (the movie). I may have to go and buy it. I haven't seen it in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  12. going to Punxsutawney for Groundshog day is on my drinking Bucket List...yes I have one of those! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. @ Sara, I agree.

    @ Al, yep that is true.

    @ Krissy, I haven't seen the news nor do I care to. I have all the predictions right here in my post.

    @ Paul, you are entitled to your opinion.

    @ Birdshit, you are my fucking hero. It is also on my list, but my list does not include just drinking events.

    @ Brandy, I love it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. favorite movie. I hate making people watch it and them not understanding the BRILLIANCE that is GoundHog Day.. Same thing for "Funny Farm."

    ReplyDelete
  15. I will watch said movie right now for the first time (if it is on Netflix). If it doesn't make me happy, my next comment here will be a digital flaming poop bag.

    http://arealgoodblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. As "goundhog day' means nothing to us where I live, we refer to them as "woodchuchks!"

    I'm not a Bill Murray fan at all, but I it was a really good movie!
    great post!

    ReplyDelete
  17. @ Peachy, I agree with you.

    @ Charles, if you don't enjoy it, you may need to go to an emergency room as you do not have a pulse.

    @ Pat, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Okay.... it was on netflix. I watched it. It was pretty good, although not as like "laugh out loud" funny as I had been led by some to believe.

    I enjoyed the mind trip of the plot.

    No flaming poo today.

    http://arealgoodblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. @ Charles, I would not have recommended it if it were not a great movie.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ha! I love the history behind Groundhog Day. I also love that you were the first to wish me Happy Groundhog Day. I was starting to get depressed.

    Go Steelers!!!!!!

    That was pretty good, right?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ha! I love that movie. It was on tv this morning but of course work fucked me and I couldn't watch it. Boo.

    ReplyDelete
  22. When could it be possible to NOT have 6 more weeks of winter?? That puts us only into mid-March. We have snow in April. Have fun with your game - I'm from Cleveland.... ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  23. @ Kelley, I am always glad to help someone learn something. Thank you for the "Go Steelers" comment, and yes it was pretty good.

    @ Heather, it is a great movie.

    @ Kristen, that is so true. I have been to Cleveland in March and April and it was fucking cold.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I will be kicking some serious groundhog ass because I'm freaking sick of winter!!! That being said....GO STEELERS

    ReplyDelete
  25. This was a clever way to stay loyal to your team, and Phil would make a pretty cute mascot.
    Just for you, I'm joining Kelley in shouting: "Go Steelers!" I just checked, and they do have snazzier uniforms, so I feel good about cheering them on.
    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
  26. dammit! six more years of winter...

    no...what??? wait...

    six weeks? i fucking do that standing on my head!

    i won't...tho' cuz it will interfer with my drinking...

    great post as usual!

    Bruce
    Bruce Johnson JADIP
    Evil Twin
    stupid stuff I see and hear
    The Dreamodeling Guy
    dreamodeling!
    The Guy Book
    The Guy Book

    ReplyDelete
  27. @ Jewels, thanks.

    @ Robyn, thanks for your support.

    @ Bruce, that is exactly how I normally feel about winter and Phil's predictions. And thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sure wish the Giants were playing the Super Bowl. Damn it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. @ Manager, on my upcoming Saturday post I actually give your Giants some props.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am feeling so much more Steelers love here now! *glaring at Miley again as I jump in here uninvited* :) Go Steelers!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love that movie and here in Southern California I don't think Phil seeing his shadow really matters, the weather is really wonky down here anyways!

    http://theadorkableditzmissteps.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  32. That little fella looks tasty. Down in the dirty south his little ass would be shot, skinned and deep fried.

    ReplyDelete
  33. @ Krissy, I figured you would.

    @ Frisky, same here.

    @ Ditz, in Socal you need a movie like that to describe your weather.

    @ Sausage, that is so true.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please leave one for me.