A recipe of blurbs by a hungry dad-filled with sarcasm, truth, and a dash of that rare ingredient, common sense.

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Where were you on 9/11?

So I have never really written about 9/11 and where I was at that day so here it goes.

That morning was hectic to say the least. All that week I was supposed to be going to Sugarland (where my company had a huge office complex known as “the campus”) for a week long training class on safety leadership, and yes I can be a leader for the haters out there. I was supposed to be there at 8 am, which meant I had to get up at 6 to get ready and drive there as it was 65 miles away in Houston suck ass traffic. So I woke up late and flew out of the house and got on the road.

I was in the car listening to the Steven’s and Pruit morning show (who are not on the air anymore and have been replaced by Walton and Johnson) when they interrupted to say that a plane had flown into the World Trade center. And I thought wow some pilot has made a huge ass mistake and flying while drunk. I was stuck in hella traffic for at least an hour while that was going on. Then they said another plane flew into the building and I got pissed off as I knew right there and then that the world had changed right in front of me while I was in the car.

So I got to the campus shortly after 9 am and walked into the cafeteria building where my class was and walked into the class and then walked out to go watch the TV. Right when I walked in to look at the TV, the first building collapsed, and I was furious. I wanted to kick the first Muslim I saw as I knew that this was a bunch of rag head terrorists. Then shortly after that the second tower fell. I was beyond sad and pissed off all at one time.

But that what was not what pissed me off the most that day. All 2500 employees of the campus had been released shortly before lunch, but no not my class. The douche bag instructor kept us there till after 6pm. I was livid. No one in that class could concentrate on looking at PowerPoint slides that day. The instructor should have let us go home.

So after getting out of class that evening I stopped to buy a newspaper special edition as I knew that it would be a collector one day. And I noticed that there was no airplanes in the sky, which was odd as my route home took my near where the airport was. It was EIRIELY quiet that day on the way home. There was no traffic at all, in the sky or in the air.

I got home and also noticed that there was no airplane in the sky which was weird as my home was in the approach and take off area for the international airport in Houston.

The odd thing was I had tickets for that nights Houston Astros game against the Giants. Keep in mind this was the season that Barry Bonds was chasing Mark McQuire’s home run record. The game was cancelled and later replayed in late September or early October and we won the game if I remember correctly.

Anyway I was just happy to be home to kiss my kids. And then I got pissed off as I was watching the footage of the day’s events. It was then that I knew that my kids would not grow up in a peaceful world.

So where were you at when 20 or so members of the “religion of peace” attacked our country?


  1. I can remember exactly where I was and what I was doing on this day. I cant remember what I did yeterday, but that day is a day I will never forget.

  2. I was working at LSU and watched the 2nd plane hit. The phones didn't ring all day. Campus was extremely quiet. It was creepy.
    Oh, and I had to email the FBI about something I saw on a forum a few weeks earlier... that's another story though. The title of the post was 9-1-1 and the guy said something terrible would happen and he would be dead once it unfolded.

  3. I was at the hospital getting a blood test done... my mom was calling me, telling me to stay home, not go anywhere. I was 19. and I just found out I was pregnant.

  4. Wow, what a day to find out that you are preggars.

  5. i was putting on panty hose watching good morning america! not so good!

  6. I was at work in the hospital and the lobby seemed to freeze in time everyone had their eyes glued onto the TV for about forty minutes no one moved then when I turned around everyone had just gone home, I was standing there alone, wondering where the hell were my sons!


I love comments, so please leave one for me.